Vitamin D is measured by IUs. IU stands for International Units and is used for the measurement.The recommended dose for people age 1-70 is 600 IUs per day and for 70 and older is 600 IUs per day. Your doctor may increase these dosage amounts if you are at risk for osteoporosis or if your Vitamin D levels are low. You can check your Vitamin D levels by taking a blood test at your doctor's office.
Vitamin D Supplements is a good source of Vitamin D. Most people know that 20-30 minutes a day of sun exposure can cause your body to produce Vitamin D, but did you know there are foods that contain healthy levels of Vitamin D also. Here is a list of 25 Vitamin D foods.
1. Fortified Breakfast Cereal - Multigrain Cheerios has Vitamin D in it. 1 cup of cereal with 1/2 cup of fortified milk gives 90 IUs.
2. Fortified Orange Juice - An 8 ounce glass contains approximately 100 IUs. A good replacement if you do not want to drink milk. You have to make sure it is fortified because some orange juices are not fortified. Florida natural orange juice and Minute Maid Kids + both are fortified with Vitamin D.
3. Egg Yolks - contain 40 IUs of Vitamin D.
4. Yogurt - A 6 ounce serving contains 80 IUs of Vitamin D.
5. Pudding made with milk - 1/2 cup has 49 - 60 IUs of Vitamin D.
6. Cheese - 40 IUs per slice
7. Fortified milk - many of the cow's milk are fortified with Vitamin D. An 8 ounce glass contains about 100 IUs of Vitamin D
8. Soy Milk - contains approximately 100 IUs of Vitamin D.
9. Rice Milk - contains approximately 100 IUs of Vitamin D.
10.Almond Milk - An 8 oz. glass has 100 of Vitamin D.
11. Canned Tuna - Has a long shelf life and is less expensive than fresh fish. 4 ounces of tuna contains 150 IUs of Vitamin D. Canned Albacore Tuna has 50 IUs when you eat 4 ounces of it.
12. Canned Sardines - 2 sardines contain more than 40 IUs.
13. Salmon - It has 192 IU per once
14. Mackerel - 806 IUs per piece
15. Rainbow trout. 540 IUs of Vitamin D per fillet
16. Beef Liver - when cooked a 3.5 ounce serving has 50 IUs of Vitamin D.
17. Spare Ribs - 104 IU per medium size piece.
18. Caviar - 181 IU per tablespoon
19. Halibut - 2236IU per 1/2 fillet
Some types of Mushrooms - They produce Vitamin D when exposed to ultraviolet life.
20. Dole's Portobello Mushrooms contain Vitamin D. 1 cup of diced mushrooms contains 400 IUs of Vitamin D.
21. Shiitake mushrooms have 40 IUs of Vitamin D
Other sources of Vitamin D
22. Oatmeal - 150 IUs per packet
23. Fortified Tofu - 3 oz. contains 80 IUs of Vitamin D
24. Raw eel - 1901 IU per fillet
25.Cod Liver Oil - one tablespoon has 1,300 IUs of Vitamin D